Monday, December 19, 2011

Puddle Splashing


Long time followers of my blog will occasionally see me produce these more stylistically illustrative pieces. They’re like little ice breakers… testing the water with a tentative toe before leaping in completely. I have always dreamed of illustrating for children’s books, and I think it is the career path I will whole heartedly pursue in the very near future.
Whilst I love my (usual) style, I do not see it reaping me enough financial rewards with which to survive. Selling an occasional giclee print on etsy for barely more than it cost to produce is not a sustainable career path. Ultimately I would love to do both, to create large-scale watercolour paintings that are exhibited in galleries, whilst working on children’s books as well. Well, this is the ultimate goal! I just have to hurry up and produce an illustration portfolio!

 
This little girl was painted as a huge thank you from the bottom of my heart for the director of the Győr Art Museum, who reached out and essentially became my benefactor, making sure I had the means to pursue my art without interruption during my stay in Győr. She’s been teaching me odd and lesser used Hungarian words, and our favourite sentence became an eccentric way of saying “The cheeky coquette splashes in rain puddles” (A rakoncátlan kisleány pocsétákban tócsázik.)



To get an idea of scale, here I am hiding behind the final framed painting.

1 comment:

  1. Soon as I seen this piece I thought it would look great as a children's book. Then I started reading to see you would be interested in illustrating children's books! Wonderful idea Monika!

    ReplyDelete

Oh! How did you know? I absolutely adore comments, thank you! :-) I appreciate all the feedback I get xx