Monday, January 28, 2013

The Obelia Sea-Weed


 
My new project is still in it's very early stages, but let me share the very beginnings. I'm working on an illustrated story that will revolve around a tiny water nymph called Amoeba. 
I use the term nymph with the pre-larval stage of a creature in mind, usually the young of an insect that undergoes incomplete metamorphosis. The term also brings to mind the numerous class of lesser deities of mythology conceived of as beautiful maidens inhabiting the sea, rivers, woods, trees, mountains, meadows, etc.

So my Amoeba nymph, accompanied by her dearest friend, an axolotl, will undergo an adventure under the sea - but that's all still in the works for now. 

The above image will not be one of the final illustrations (being mature content) but it was a good study for me to explore what my "nymphs" look like - a mix of the two definitions, part beautiful maiden, part creature. I wanted her proportions to bring frogs and troglobites to mind. 

A few more facial studies of Amoeba can be found here   and below the first character study for her Axolotl friend, and the first illustration sketch.

 
 

1 comment:

  1. these look fun and wonderfully unique.

    love that pink pencil in the top post!

    ReplyDelete

Oh! How did you know? I absolutely adore comments, thank you! :-) I appreciate all the feedback I get xx